It’s that time of year again!
Holiday open houses, work parties, cookie exchanges, and all-to-often, unwanted holiday weight gain. Yup even in 2020. Heck maybe even more likely given all the added stress and uncertainty going on.
But, did you know? That extra piece of pie or an indulgent meal (or two!) doesn’t shrink your pants. The problem is that we allow one extra pound to become 10 because WE ABANDON OUR HEALTHY HABITS.
Let’s not let that happen this year. 2020 has been a doozy so far, so I challenge you to finish off as strong as possible, because you deserve to have a strong and healthy body.
This year is going to be different because, if you have been following my blog and newsletter, you know that I have shared with you the importance of taking care of yourself, everyday. And to help you do just that, I’ve come up with a fun, easy, effective way for you to maintain your healthy habits all season long.
Here’s what I suggest you focus on over the next 5-weeks.
- Complete healthy habits
- Maintain your weight within 2 pounds
Every day, we want you focusing on 3 healthy habits that are essential for a healthy body and mind. When you focus on these habits, you’ll feel great and find it much easier to maintain your weight.
Zero Gain – Holiday Survival Tips
Tip #1: EAT SLOWLY
- Always stop at satisfied, not stuffed
- Think of digestion as a chain reaction. What is the first part of this chain? Chewing. We need to eat slowly & chew thoroughly for proper digestion and absorption to occur.
- It takes 15-20 minutes for your digestive system to let your brain know that you’re satisfied. Slowingdown allows that to happen before you overeat.
- When you slow down, you savor your food and feel content with much less. You will eat less and enjoy what you’ve eaten more.
- Overeating is uncomfortable! So why do we do it so much?You’ll find that just slowing down will change your perspective on how you eat, especially during the holidays.
Tip #2: KEEP MOVING
- Many of us fall off the rails during this time of year. Ensure that you are making exercise a priority even during these busy times to maintain muscle, keep the metabolic benefits, and more.
- Get your steps in. Non-exercise movement does make a difference!
- Set realistic goals for days per week to get into the gym or to do your workout from home.
- Have a backup plan. Can’t make it to the studio? Choose an efficient and effective workout (working big muscles, big movements) that you can do at home or while traveling (Click Here to access our On-Demand Library)
Tip #3: PORTION CONTROL
- Instead of agonizing over calories and specifics while you should be spending time with family and friends, try these simple tricks:
- Fill up half your plate with veggies to start.
- Try the “portion at hand” system for baseline portion goals.
Tip #4: EAT WELL ON-THE-GO
- This is of course very challenging, but not impossible. Here are a few tips:
- Keep non-perishable snack options with you. This can include protein bars, nuts, a shaker bottle with protein powder, tuna packets, nitrate-free jerky etc. Check out our awesome Protein and Supplement options at www.befitsouthshore.com
- Aim for better, not perfection. Choose the healthiest option when stuck with fast food or fast casual restaurants. Protein? Check. Veggies? Check. Side of fruit or other carb? Check. Keep it simple.
- Bring a cooler with snack options if possible – can include yogurt, hard boiled eggs, veggies and hummus.
- Always be hydrating! Aim for half your body weight in ounces of water.
Tip #5: FOCUS ON VEGGIE INTAKE
- Veggies are water-dense, calorie-sparse and full of nutrients.
- Make it a point to fill half your plate with vegetables during holiday dinner parties.
- Enjoy your veggies! Check out the recommendations below to ensure they taste good.
Want to Grab our 5-Week Holiday Meal Plan and Zero Gain Score Card?
2021 GOAL SETTING
Whether your goals are weight loss, change in body composition, increased energy, improved blood work, or increased performance, it is important to think about your goals for long-term success.
Questions To Ask
- What do I want, what will it take me to get there?
- When it is the right time to start, when will I know I am there?
- Who will I become, who will support me?
- Where does this goal fit in?
- Why do I want to achieve this goal?
Assess Your Lifestyle
Break Your Big Goals Up Into Smaller Goals
- Set 1-2 sustainable goals at a time, master those, then add another. Set SMART goals.
- We want to create HABITS. Did you know it takes around 21 days to form a habit?
- You want to ensure that you are constantly improving, but it is not realistic to constantly be perfect.